Monday, June 29, 2009

Looking better than the lilies/God provides for his work

Jesus said "do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?...why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?
Matthew 6:25,28-30

I have been learning that very thing. In college I adored clothes, a little too much so when I let Jesus have my life I let go of some things that were bad for my body image and soul, cancelled subscriptions cleaned out my closet, and haven't spent a lot on clothes since, more from necessity the last four years than choice. Regardless of this I have beautiful clothes and after about a week ago practically a new wardrobe. My dear friend Kristi threw a clothing exchange party, and while I passed over the gorgeous puff ball wrap I'm modeling for you in the picture above I took home many lovely things. My closet was ready for them since I had taken the things I only wear because they are clean to the soiree. God has also been providing for my work on campus in a unique way this month. All extra or new financial donations dated in the month of June and received by July 7th will be matched by the area. I've had less than a week to contact supporters and after asking a supervisor some questions today I realize I have misunderstood the timeline. I must know about the gift and notify my supervisor of the name and amount by tomorrow June 30th at 5 p.m. to have it matched. God is gracious, so gracious and I have been able to on short notice get ahold of enough donors that the amount that will be matched so far is at $875. That mean $1750 extra this month! Praise God! I have a deficit of $7,000 but this past week I have been watching it shrink. Also if you are planning on giving a one-time gift let me know so I can make sure it will be matched. I am excited to see what the final amount will be. Also pray for me as I look for a good part-time job. I am hoping for something that will contribute to my work on campus somehow and am even applying for an instructors position on campus. If I can find a good part-time position than I can reduce my salary with IV without reducing my hours on campus and decrease my deficit in this way as well.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Way to go--there are few things more freeing than having a closet full of clothes you know you will wear (with a few special pieces.) I am proud of your renewed fundraising vigor as well.

WV: espref--a preference for espresso?